MEMBERS OF THE SUFFERING CLUB

 The kidney stone was a really, strange diversion.  In dramatic fashion, I broke away from the responsibility and urgent demands of that day.  I went off-road and tumbled down an unmarked route. 

I experienced this weird waiting thing, where I knew the stone would pass and the suffering would fade.  But wow!  In the middle of the fierce pain, I grew understanding for what some must endure for months or years at a time.

I know that lots of people suffer because I belong to a dying race.  I want to wear my pain well if it ever visits me again.  In that potential could I become an ambassador of endurance?  I hope I don’t have to suffer too much.

I wasn't thinking those thoughts at the time of the pain attack.  I was ticked off with the agony.  I was being controlled by it, and I didn't like the submission to it that I felt.  I didn't know what was happening until the medical people told me, so I wasn't sure if I should be afraid, get angry or make peace with God.

I did throw in a deathbed confessional, just in case.

In those moments, I really like the idea of drugs that could make me comfortable.  My pre-occupation seemed to mostly be with comfort.  I just wanted relief.  When it came, I was sleepy and happy.

In the uneven ground of that season of detours, I wrote some thoughts about what I was feeling:


·        The kidney stone is a picture of the turmoil I'm feeling these days with my life and occupation.  I mostly want to get comfortable.  I want relief from the heart pains and the dying vision.   I want relief now.  I want to be sleepy and happy…
·        Even so Lord, come.  Sick, sinful, saint needs You.  Troubled with himself and too nice to admit that he feels trapped and alone again.  Stupid, self-centered, conflicted, wussy boy! 
·        Still, God is good and merciful.  I can't shake that.


Low places filling in.  High places getting flattened.  God’s jackhammer, dynamite and backfill being strategically placed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE

TEN WAYS TO SAY THANK YOU TO RIELLY MCLAREN

RIELLY AND THE NEXT CHAPTER