CALLING ANXIOUS ORPHANS

As a young boy, I remember awaking in the night feeling alone and afraid.  The darkness was oppressive and I was gripped by my feelings.  I made my way through the dark to the familiarity of my parents’ door.  I crawled in bed next to their sleeping forms.  In that place, I was warm and secure.  My fears subsided and I knew everything was going to be okay.  It was a place of faith, knowing that their presence was enough.

Jesus sees the orphan child in us gripped by the darkness and fear of not being good enough, failing and being judged.  At to that fearful child he offers hope.  His presence is enough when we are surrounded with darkness and fear.

Matthew 11:
  28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.   29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.   30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

He is aware of our fear and uncertainty.  He sees the burden we carry and offers to be the presence that calms our fears and lightens our load.  He says to the frightened child, “Come here.”

Jesus understands the anxious orphan and the bewildered loner.  He invites us to come closer.  Unlike others we think will take advantage of us, Jesus is gentle and humble-hearted.  He invites us into a working relationship with Him.  In the family of God, the commitment to Jesus is easy and will not overwhelm you.  Why is it that we often challenge people to take on heavy burdens and impossible demands?

Those who enter into relationship with Jesus find that His strength makes the difference.  He compensates for our weakness and we are not treated with contempt for our failures.  Jesus calls the least likely to His side.  In that familial company, we are transformed by His greatness and strength.

Comments