DRIVING HUNGER FROM OUR COMMUNITY




What will you eat today? How much food will you throw out today?

Quote from Forgotten Harvest video:

In this country (U.S.A.) 25% of all food is wasted. 96 billion pounds of food is thrown away. If we could rescue 5% of that, there would be no hungry people in Michigan or across the country.

Forgotten Harvest is a charity that gathers food from growers and suppliers and redistributes it to charities and agencies that feed people. New Song Church is now receiving hundreds of pounds of fresh produce weekly that would otherwise be thrown out.

Here are some comments I’ve heard from recipients:

• "Wow! Fresh tomatoes... I can't remember the last time I had any. I just cannot afford them."

• "I took enough to share and distributed to 14 households. It feels good to be helping others.”

• "I went home and made stuffed peppers for my family's supper. I had enough peppers that I was able to freeze the rest."


At the same time that we have access to clean water, food, basic education and healthcare much of the world still considers these basics to be luxury. In Dave Blundell’s book ‘Hungry For Life’ he makes the case that world poverty could be adequately addressed for $40 billion annually. Americans spend almost that much on golf alone in a given year.

We may not have $40 billion in our hands, but we can all work together to reduce poverty in the world. When you support New Song Church financially, in prayer and with your time you make it possible for us to provide food, clothing and of course the gospel of Jesus Christ.

It’s important for us as a church to stay economically streamlined so that our dollars and labor stay focused on caring for people’s needs.

The apostle Paul spoke to the church in Ephesus about his personal commitment to keep costs down. Instead of depending on the churches to meet his physical needs, he worked freelance as a producer of fine tents.



Acts 20:
35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”



There are many myths about self-reliance and poverty.

• Poor people are lazy and stupid
• You can become anything you want to
• You are a poor steward of God’s resource if you don’t have more than enough
• God wants me rich so I can easily give it away to care for the needs of others

There is an ancient Hebrew proverb that says,


Proverbs 30:8
Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.



Can you imagine being satisfied with a lifetime of daily bread? Or do you believe that you need bigger barns to store your stuff in?

Comments