MY FRUSTRATION WITH MULTI-TASKING



I have a favorite illustration in Dr. Seuss’ book ‘The Cat In The Hat’. The cat is balanced on one foot atop a ball. In his hands and with his tail he holds many things. The cat held books, a fish bowl, an umbrella, a rake, a toy boat, a teacup, and a glass of milk, a fan and a cake. The proud cat bears an expression that seems to say, “Look at me, look at me! Am I not amazing?”



It is very impressive until the cat falls down surrounded by all the failed activities. The cat reminds me of myself if I try to balance too many priorities. I’m not very good at multi-tasking.

Multi-taskers are people who have the ability to manage several activities simultaneously. With relative ease they can carry on a conversation, balance a budget sheet, listen to music and bake a cake—all at the same time!

I admire multi-taskers for their powers of motor dexterity and to get the job done. However, I am not one of them.

I sing the praises of uni-tasking. I am able to concentrate on a singular task for extended periods of time. Sometimes I can balance one or two more activities, but one task always dominates and takes my attention.

On my way to a retreat Friday I took the wrong exit off of Highway 403. My uni-task was to drive the car. My secondary task was to visit with my friend Kevin Saunders. Unfortunately I can only manage small talk when driving.

We were talking about Bruce Springsteen’s album ‘Darkness On The Edge Of Town’. I was talking about the legal entanglements with his manager after ‘Born In The USA’. There was a significant time gap until the next album and that conflict shaped Bruce’s career at the time. And then, I was driving down a new road I had never been on. Without realizing, I had taken a ramp thinking I was getting close to my destination.

I am a confirmed uni-tasker. Do not get me talking while I drive. I may break concentration and then we will be lost.

This seriously affects my work style here at the church and at home. I have to usually move away from my desk if I’m meeting with someone at the office. Household handyman jobs are fine as long as I’m alone.

More than once I have become agitated by multiple demands during a task.

If I feel backlogged with tasks, I can start to pity myself. I have to remind myself that the task list may be secondary to the presenting needs of others.

What am I to do with myself when I feel overwhelmed by my tasks? I’m choosing to give myself to good tasks and yet, aggravated by impatience.


Comments

Wanda Bastien said…
I totally relate to the inability to navigate and keep conversation at the same time! I think it runs in the family. Mark Gungor's video series called "Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage" has a funny take on multi-tasking and the male brain. I can show you next time you're up this way.

Popular posts from this blog

CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE

TEN WAYS TO SAY THANK YOU TO RIELLY MCLAREN

RIELLY AND THE NEXT CHAPTER