THE SABBATH VIRTUE OF SUNDAY AFTERNOON NAPS


After our Urban Cry[i] students spoke on Mother’s Day, I pulled a couple of them aside and told them not to be surprised if they get home and find that they are fatigued and need a nap. They each prepared and spoke for ten to fifteen minutes.

Standing in front of a microphone for an extended period of time can be quite tiring. After leading worship and/or preaching twice on a Sunday morning, I am ready to lie down for a nap. In fact, it is my afternoon nap that starts my Sabbath. I take Mondays off because Sunday morning is the climax of my working week.

Mark Driscoll in his book ‘Real Marriage’ [ii]talks about the fatigue he experienced from having multiple services from morning until evening. He found himself nodding off backstage while the worship band played their set. He jacked himself up with caffeine and energy drinks.

When the gospels tell us that Jesus was fast asleep in a boat during a violent storm, I’m not surprised. He had been preaching to crowds all day and needed his nap.

We all need rest and Sabbath because the toil will soon return. It’s normal to get tired when you exert yourself, but are you generally well rested? Do you find yourself nodding off because life’s demands are wearing you down? Do you daily depend on caffeine, sugar and adrenaline boosts to keep going?

For me, catnaps and dog walking are essential activities to maintain my daily stamina.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE

TEN WAYS TO SAY THANK YOU TO RIELLY MCLAREN

RIELLY AND THE NEXT CHAPTER