THE SECRET ORDER OF THE PIG


There exists a certain, heathen culture where life is consumed with the worship of their god.  This strange tribe of people bow to their idol, a fat, curly-tailed pig.  The main act of worship consists in putting gifts of money into the idol with hopes that their god will provide them with good things in return.  The priests of this idol pig have summarized their teachings into 3 pillars of the faith.  They call these their three ‘Piggy Pillars’.  The name of this god is ‘Piggy Bank’.

The Piggy Pillars are:

1.     It’s mine and I deserve it
2.     When I have it I will be happy
3.     Money makes me secure

People of every nation and socio-economic class give themselves to Piggy Bank worship. Their devotion is unmatched in the modern world. They have bigger temples and make greater sacrifices at the altar of Piggy Pillars.

In Hebrew history we read about some heroes of God who toppled the idols of their day. They knocked over the false gods who blinded people to the true and living God. Jesus was an idol tipper extraordinaire.

Even some of Jesus’ followers today may belong to ‘The Secret Order of the Pig’ and hide out among the rank and file of His Church. This is a subtle, covert coven that believes they can obey Jesus and live greedy. As Jesus travelled the countryside tipping idols, he met many who were dual religionists. They said one thing with their lips and lived another way.

The Message Translation tells us one of Jesus’ stories about selfish living.


Luke 12:
16-19 Then he told them this story: “The farm of a certain rich man produced a terrific crop. He talked to himself: ‘What can I do? My barn isn’t big enough for this harvest.’ Then he said, ‘here’s what I’ll do: I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll gather in all my grain and goods, and I’ll say to myself, Self, you’ve done well! You’ve got it made and can now retire. Take it easy and have the time of your life!’
20 “Just then God showed up and said, ‘Fool! Tonight you die. And your barn full of goods—who gets it?’
21 “That’s what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God.”


Jesus told this story in response to a man who wanted Jesus to settle a dispute over an inheritance. ‘Make my brother give me what he owes me!’ was his cry. Jesus does not enter into the mediation between the man and his brother. Instead, he tells him this story about a prosperous farmer who got greedy.

It is also unlikely that Jesus will answer our prayer requests if they have an undercurrent of personal greed. The answer to some of our prayers might be such a story.

If we are to disavow our membership in ‘The Secret Order of the Pig’, we need to take Jesus message to heart. What is Jesus telling us?

1.     Greedy People Feel Entitled
2.     Wealth Provides False Security
3.     Be Rich Toward God

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE

TEN WAYS TO SAY THANK YOU TO RIELLY MCLAREN

RIELLY AND THE NEXT CHAPTER