RETIREMENT AT TSUNAMI SHORES


I know a man who was convinced that he would grow wealthy in a few short years by his participation in network marketing. Amway is a shortened title denoting The American Way. The American Dream is to work hard in the land of opportunity and experience unlimited wealth potential. My friend believed that it was worthwhile to take advantage of friendships in the name of helping each other be rich enough to pursue our dreams of walking the beaches of the world.

What if I told you that you could make some sacrifices now and soon you would be retired at a young age in a gated community with a beautiful ocean view? This resort community is called Tsunami Shores. It has security guards and the finest storage facilities in which to store your extra vehicles, valuables and possessions.

How was it named? The beautiful shoreline experiences reoccurring Tsunami waves. Everyone that ever built there eventually was washed away with all of his or her possessions. But, they have armed guards and climate controlled storage units! They do have storm sewers and the water soon is gone. It is a small risk compared to the wonderful view that you will enjoy—and such wonderful neighbours! They are people just like you!

In the story of the rich farmer, God has something to say to the money maker.


Luke 12:
20 “Just then God showed up and said, ‘Fool! Tonight you die. And your barn full of goods—who gets it?’
21 “That’s what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God.”


Maybe you feel the need to defend network marketing or the accumulation of wealth. I know that rich people can also love God and be very generous. I’m not against rich people. The fact is, that we are all in the top 5% of the world population. The question I must ask myself is what am I living for? How have I been infected by a ‘Bigger Barn’ religion?

In what ways have I credited myself for success when I need to remain humble and accountable to God? If I am to go through the eye of a needle, I will likely need to downsize.

The obvious lesson is the false security that riches bring. You die unexpectedly or lose your shirt. Then what? What will make you secure? What will contribute to your feeling of well-being?

You can get so lost in the Self Barn. You might never come out. You could die in there and never be found.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE

TEN WAYS TO SAY THANK YOU TO RIELLY MCLAREN

RIELLY AND THE NEXT CHAPTER