THE FIRST STEP IS A DOOZY



Step One: We admitted we were powerless over sin - that our lives had become unmanageable.

Have you ever reached a place where you knew that you were unable to manage your life? The behaviour and attitudes overpowered you and you knew that you were in too much pain to function.


Psalms 38:
My guilt has overwhelmed me
    like a burden too heavy to bear.
My wounds fester and are loathsome
    because of my sinful folly.
I am bowed down and brought very low;
    all day long I go about mourning.
My back is filled with searing pain;
    there is no health in my body.
I am feeble and utterly crushed;
    I groan in anguish of heart.
All my longings lie open before you, Lord;
    my sighing is not hidden from you.
10 My heart pounds, my strength fails me;
    even the light has gone from my eyes.
11 My friends and companions avoid me because of my wounds;
    my neighbours stay far away.

When David cries out about his wretched state, he speaks of a burden that is too heavy to bear. His guilt has compounded to the point where he cannot function properly. His health is a mess and people are avoiding him. He has lost his ability to maintain good communication with others.

This is embedded in the nature of sinful folly—addictions feed on our disconnection from God and the community. Sin and addictions rely upon isolation.

David is a mess. He is at the bottom and bringing his complaint to God. He desperately needs deliverance and is finally getting honest with himself.

It’s one thing to admit that my sin is problematic. It’s quite another to admit that I am powerless. We are not supposed to be spineless and weak. We mistakenly think we can just smarten up. We can quit whenever we want to (We just don’t want to).


Comments