STARTING AGAIN WITH A NEW WALLET

Have you ever thinned out your wallet or purse? If you can, take a moment and see what’s there.

There are many things in life that we can live without, but the wallet or purse is often where we keep our methods of payment (cash, debit card, credit) and forms of identification.

We tend to keep things there that we are going to use, but sometimes their usefulness expires. Who has an expired card, a note to self or a random item that no longer has significance? Don’t begin to list all the contents of a large handbag. I’m afraid to put my hand in there!

In the same way we need to review contents occasionally, the wallet is just a microcosm of our life contents. When I take stock of my inventory, I try to live by the motto, ‘If in doubt, throw it out’. The more stuff you have, the harder it is to lay hands on what you actually need in the moment.

It follows that Jesus would have something to say to us about the stuff we accumulate in life.


Luke 12:
32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


Jesus answers the question of what I really need in life. I need to downsize and get a wallet that will not wear out. I do not need much to thrive in God’s Kingdom. I need proof of identity to be in God’s Country and I need access to the treasures of Heaven.

What value is there in trying to hold on to the things you no longer will need? My wallet would be useless in a far off country unless I had currency and identification that was recognized. My Canadian Tire money would be only useful for giving away as souvenirs to the locals. My Ontario Driver’s License will not give me the privilege of driving permanently in another province or far off country. I need to possess the important things of God’s Kingdom.

So much of what we call home consists of places and things. Jesus tells us to fearlessly let go of the old citizenship and move to His Kingdom. In travelling light, you need an identity that authorizes you to conduct business and a currency that is recognized and valuable. The Father is pleased to give you a new place and things that will last. In the wallet God gives you, there is always what you actually need and always something to give away.

Isn’t it time to start again with a new wallet?


Comments