BURNED BY GOD

Can an unpleasant experience make you feel that God has burned you? In trust you chose a path that ended up leading to suffering. How does that fit into a theology of love?

The prophet Jeremiah complained to God.



Jeremiah 20:
You deceived me, Lord, and I was deceived; you overpowered me and prevailed. I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me.
Whenever I speak, I cry out proclaiming violence and destruction. So the word of the Lord has brought me insult and reproach all day long.
 
But if I say, “I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name,” his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.


Jeremiah had a tough message to deliver from God. The Lord was using him to warn people of the coming destruction. Instead of getting a receptive audience, Jerry got a bad reputation.  Faced with the humiliation of their rejection, he wondered if he should just shut up. Serving God was painful.

He concluded that God’s word was burning inside and he could not hold it in. He felt as if God had deceived him. He was called to serve God and it was bringing him many tears. Have you had an experience with God that left you feeling burned?

You could walk away, but you have not. God’s fire is in your heart and bones and so you burn like the bush Moses saw and yet are not reduced to ash. You are on fire and there is a message embedded in your flames.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE

TEN WAYS TO SAY THANK YOU TO RIELLY MCLAREN

RIELLY AND THE NEXT CHAPTER