I GOT BURNED


Have you been burned?

If I have a particularly bad experience with a person, place or thing I might say, “I got burned.”  I did not literally touch a stove or flame, but the feeling from some betrayal; insult or deception left me feeling emotionally hurt.


I got burned and the option of ‘fighting fire with fire’ has a certain appeal. By that I mean that I will repay injury for injury. I will hurt the one who hurt me.

I may also be tempted to ‘burn my bridges’ meaning that I will leave no access between myself, and the one who hurt me. Sometimes we make a vow in which we say, ‘Never again.’

Have you been burned by gossip or slander?


James 3:
The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.


Sticks and stones may break my bones and names can never…? No, they can surely hurt me.’ Fiery, destructive words can burn like hell.

The question is what is left after you have been burned? Will anything survive or any good come of it? You can mourn forever or in the ashes of what once was, or you can rebuild. Something new can happen and some things can withstand the flame.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE

TEN WAYS TO SAY THANK YOU TO RIELLY MCLAREN

RIELLY AND THE NEXT CHAPTER