LEARNING ABOUT LIMITS

As part of our year focus on spiritual disciplines, New Song Church has a focus this month on submission. 



On April 1st I decided to try it out on a road trip to Toronto. Instead of setting my cruise control to 115 kilometres per hour I set it to the highway limit of 100. I chose to submit to the law of the road.

As I reflected on what I was doing, I gained some valuable insights.

First, the limit did not hinder me reaching my destination. I still arrived on time for my appointment. Submission does not hinder you in reaching your desired goal.

Second, the slow lane was less stressful. I did not have to constantly crank my head to see if I could get past those who were slower. I was not upset with the occasional person who was going slower than the limit. My trip was more restful because I practiced submission.

Third, when we submit to limits we discover other ways we need to submit. Submission produces a greater sensitivity to right and wrong. At one point, my mind was on something else and I was drifting on my lane. I suddenly had a guy on the left lane shake his fist and yell at me as he pulled up beside me and then raced ahead. He was right; I should have been more vigilant about my driving skills. So while he cursed me for breaking a law, he angrily raced ahead breaking another law.

Richard Foster said,

What freedom corresponds to submission? It is the ability to lay down the terrible burden of always needing to get our own way. The obsession to demand that things go the way we want them to go is one of the greatest bondages in human society today. People will spend weeks, months, even years in a perpetual stew because some little thing did not go as they wished. They will fuss and fume. They will get mad about it. They will act as if their very life hangs on the issue. They may even get an ulcer over it.
In the Discipline of submission we are released to drop the matter, to forget it. Frankly, most things in life are not nearly as important as we think they are. Our lives will not come to an end if this or that does not happen. [1]






[1] Richard Foster, Celebration Of Discipline, Harper Collins Publishers, p.111

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE

TEN WAYS TO SAY THANK YOU TO RIELLY MCLAREN

RIELLY AND THE NEXT CHAPTER