LIFE AFTER 100


I have the honourable distinction of being the first youth pastor at Parkway Road Pentecostal Church.  www.parkwaychurch.ca 



Following my years of study at Eastern Pentecostal Bible College, I came to assist Pastor Clair Mullen at this little country church on the outskirts of Ottawa. The year was 1985 and I was 23 years old.

What an incredible honour to be invited back on Thanksgiving Weekend to help celebrate their 100th anniversary as a church. It’s an amazing thing when a church can celebrate that event.

If you were 100 years old, what would your life be like? What would you spend your time doing?

A 100-year-old man was having a big birthday party at his nursing home. A TV crew was there to interview the man on this special day.
"Please tell our audience how you managed to live so long," asked the reporter.
"Well, I don't ever drink and I've never smoked," replied the old geezer. "And, I make it a point to stay away from wild women."
Just then, there was a loud shriek in the hall. The crew turned to see a nurse run by, followed by an agile looking, older man. The older man carried a foul smelling cigar in one hand and a glass of whisky in the other. As he ran by, he paused for a moment, looked at the crowd and let out a hardy, "He, he, he!" and then continued his pursuit.
"What was that all about?" asked the astonished reporter.
Replied the old geezer, "Please excuse my father - he gets carried away sometimes!"[1]

Another man who was a few years younger said,

I've sure gotten old! I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement, new knees, fought prostate cancer and diabetes.
I'm half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject t o blackouts. Have bouts with dementia.
Have poor circulation; hardly feel my hands and feet anymore. Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92.
Have lost all my friends.
But, thank God, I still have my driver's license.
[2]

In current Canadian culture, churches have a mortality rate similar to a human lifespan. Between 70 and 100 years of age, churches are usually in serious decline or moving into palliative care and finally closing (death). Somewhere in the last 30-40 years this church has broken the pattern and extended its life. There are more than twice as many people worshipping in this house than there was in 1985, and there is strong leadership and vision for the next generation. They have cheated death!



Comments