WARMTH FOR THE WINTER SOUL


Creeping sadness… like the setting sun during a winter power outage…


Disappointed with people who know better… wearied by their callous disregard…


Uncertain about my future, my health, my happiness…

God’s voice sounding like the adults in Charlie Brown cartoons…

The tired, detached feeling of being alone in the company of laughing hyenas…

Been there… done that… is there hope for a winter soul?

A prayer for the dying… Hear my cry, Jesus. You have something I do not have. Help me!

Tim Keller said,

“No matter what precautions we take, no matter how well we have put together a good life, no matter how hard we have worked to be healthy, wealthy, comfortable with friends and family, and successful with our career — something will inevitably ruin it.”[1]

In preparation for the coming tragic letdown of Golgotha, Jesus asked his disciples if they still believed in him. It’s a good question for all of us who sometimes struggle with unbelief, doubt and discouragement. Do you still believe even though your heart is filled with dread?


John 16:
31 “Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. 32 “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”


I don’t know if you saw it right away, but losing hope and fear are the common lot. Leaving Jesus and going home are predictable patterns. But, Jesus is not dependent on your faithfulness to him.

If we all leave Jesus behind, he will still not be alone. We might be alone, but not him! He has the Father with him always. Inseparable from God…

Jesus will be okay with or without us… and he is not being glib or unfeeling to say that. He is telling us that he has the peace we desperately lack. He tells us this so we can take heart. Take Jesus’ heart when you lose your own…

If suffering and fear are your present state, Jesus invites you to lean into him. He overcomes the desperately, troubled condition of the world and invites us to the peace he has.



[1] Tim Keller, Walking With God Through Pain And Suffering, 2013 Dutton, p.3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE

TEN WAYS TO SAY THANK YOU TO RIELLY MCLAREN

RIELLY AND THE NEXT CHAPTER