STAY


A beautiful thing happened whenever Moses would go to the tent of meeting. The pillar of cloud would come down to the door of the tent. God responded to Moses’ initiative. 



This is a timeless truth about approaching God. You take a step and God will always respond.


James 4:
Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.


Like the young protégé Joshua we can also follow closely after a Moses who worships God face-to-face. We can enter the place of meeting and learn from others who pray. Joshua stayed in the tent after Moses left. What did Joshua experience in that place after Moses left? He would learn to lead by following Moses as he lingered in the tent of meeting to communicate with God.


Exodus 33:
12 Moses said to the Lord, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favour with me.’ 13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favour with you. Remember that this nation is your people.”
14 The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
15 Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. 16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”
17 And the Lord said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”


What a beautiful picture of relationship and the choices that leadership requires. ‘If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here.’

John Bevere asks ‘where was here’ in this encounter?

It was the place of lack, adversity, stress, and hardship—the desert. In essence he declared, “If I have to choose between your presence and your blessing, I’ll take your presence—even if it’s in a place of lack and hardship—over your blessing in a great environment.”
Moses declared two things in turning down God’s offer. First and foremost, that time in God’s presence was more valuable than time enjoying His blessing apart from His presence. Second, that Moses believed in God’s flawless integrity. Even though entering the Promised Land would be on hold, Moses knew God would eventually bring Israel there. He knew God would keep His Word. Had Moses’s internal GPS not been set correctly, given the circumstances, he certainly would have made a different choice.[1]

In exactly the circumstance you find yourself today, God’s Presence will sustain you.  If a promise or blessing must be postponed, you will be wise to choose God’s Presence over any other.


Psalms 84:
10 Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.


Comments