AVOIDING THE COOKIE CUTTER



What do you want to be when you grow up?

When I was eighteen years old, I knew that I loved Jesus and wanted to live a purposeful life that honoured God. I also knew that I did not want to be a pastor! That was the last thing in the world that I wanted. I saw what my dad had to do and had no illusions about being the servant of all.



At twenty-three years of age, I knew that I loved Jesus and would serve as a youth pastor in a church. Through a five-year period I looked to Jesus for direction and he led me to ‘the last thing in the world that I wanted to do.’ It took awhile to settle in and get used to the servant life, but I stayed with it.

At fifty-five, I still love Jesus and have accepted the vocation placed in me. If I lost my position tomorrow and had to do something else, the love for Jesus and the auto-response to lead others would remain.

God has a way of calling people to Jesus and then equipping them to serve the world and the church in His Name. If you have wondered what to do with the rest of your life and whether to take steps in a new direction, I want you to consider that God’s Mission to the world is still hiring.

If you are highly individualistic and cannot see yourself fitting into some cookie-cutter shape of what God’s call means—I can assure you that God keeps changing the shape and recipe of the cookie. We all have mostly the same ingredients, but many shapes and flavour additives. Scripture uses colourful, metaphoric language to describe how each one’s uniqueness contributes value and meaning to all the other parts of his organized mission. There are many parts to a body, but each depends on its connectedness to the others to give and receive life.

So what are the key ingredients of one whose life is wrapped in the purposes of God?




Comments