GOD'S FRIEND


Apart from Jesus, who in the world loves you in a godly way? Our lives are shaped and referenced by the effect of spiritual mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters.


Not a day goes by that I am not influenced and reminded of God’s Love by a whole cast of God Lovers. Their example inspires me. I am held in place by the love of others. I stand corrected when my flesh pulls me into judgment and isolation.


  
John 15:
13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.


It’s true that everyone in God’s family has a ministry. However, if I function like a servant but lack in love, I am noisy and bothersome to others.  Your ministry is only as effective as the degree to which you rooted in God’s Love.

When we talk about servants and the work of God, there may be something in the job description that seems impersonal. A master may know their slaves, but what shape does a master’s love take? Is there a professional boundary that keeps a master viewing the slave as lovable in they perform well and punishable if they fail?

Many people have such a view of God, but Jesus came to change that. He came not as Master, but as servant of all. He demonstrated the true, sacrificial love in God’s heart.

A true friend will give themselves away to the ones they love. Jesus said that we rise from a subservient relationship with God to a peer relationship with Jesus when we obey the command to love.

Just as a friend will tell you what’s really going on, Jesus shares insight with us when we walk in love. Have you looked in the mirror and seen God’s friend? Jesus has blurred the line between servant and friend. You are more than you think you are in God’s eyes.




Comments